It’s winter and it’s cold outside. You want hot, tasty food to fill your belly, but what you don’t want is tighter pants once spring time comes around.
This bacon, leek, mushroom risotto recipe is truly the ultimate comfort food. Hot, creamy and full of flavour you’ll enjoy warming up with this easy dinner without having to worry about consuming excess energy.
Risotto is also great to make for lunches, just divide into containers and keep in the fridge for a delicious, easy meal on a busy day.
Bacon, Leek, and Mushroom Risotto
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, pale end thinly sliced
- 4 rashers of bacon, rind removed and cut into 1 cm pieces
- 500g mushroom, sliced
- 300g of arborio rice
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Bring 6 cups of water to the boil on high heat. Add chicken stock powder and reduce heat to low.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Cook leek and bacon, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until leek softens. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until mushrooms start to release their juices.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, until juices have been absorbed. Reduce heat to low and add stock mixture, one ladle at a time, allowing liquid to absorb between additions, stirring, for about 20 minutes, until rice is creamy and cooked but still firm to bite.
- Remove from heat and stir through the baby spinach and parsley until they start to wilt.Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information for Bacon Leek Mushroom Risotto
- Energy: 1695kJ (400 Cal)
- Carbohydrate: 63g
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 7g (1g saturated)
- Fibre: 5g
- Sodium: 957mg