Breakfast and Brunch are my favourite meals. I may have mentioned that before but I can’t stress it enough. There’s nothing better than waking up and looking forward to the first thing you get to eat! And nothing would excite me more than waking up to some Baked Beans with Eggs and Haloumi.
Someone once suggested to me that haloumi is like vegetarian bacon. I have to agree! It adds amazing flavour to most meals and once you get used to the texture you’ll want to put it in everything.
This is a really easy cross between baked beans and Spanish huevos rancheros, which is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s a big meal, but because so much of the volume is coming from vegetables, it’s not very high in kJ/calories. It is, however, very high in heaps of other nutrients. One serve of this Baked Beans with Eggs and Haloumi will give you half of your daily fibre requirements, and 2 times your daily needs of vitamin C.
Give this a go one weekend and get excited about breakfast!
Baked Beans with Eggs and Haloumi
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 100g x haloumi cheese, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 x garlic gloves, crushed
- 1 x red onion, finely chopped
- 4 x eggs
- 1 x red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 x 400g 4 bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- chives, finely sliced
- Heat oven grill to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Sprinkle haloumi slices with paprika and set aside.
- In a large fry pan sauté the onion and garlic 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in capsicum. Cook gently for another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently fry the haloumi in a separate pan or on a sandwich press. When it is slightly golden, add the cooked haloumi to the onion and capsicum mix.
- Add the 4 bean mix, tinned tomatoes and cumin to the fry pan and stir until warmed through.
- Make 4 small wells in the mix, and crack the eggs straight into them. Pop the whole pan into the oven, leave the door open. The eggs will cook this way, ensure not to leave the pan in for longer than 7 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh chives. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information for Baked Beans with Eggs and Haloumi
Per Serve (1/2 recipe)
- Energy: 2118kJ (504 calories)
- Protein: 37.5g
- Carbohydrate (sugar): 39g (16g)
- Fat (saturated): 17g (8g)
- Fibre: 17.8g
- Sodium: 2327 mg