This recipe is perfect for those times when you only have to feed yourself, but it can easily be adapted to feed the whole family if needed – simply multiple all of the ingredients by the number of serves you need. It’s got The Plate Model covered with protein (40g of it!), a serve of high fibre carbohydrates, 2 serves of vegetables and a small amount of healthy fats – everything you need for a balanced, satisfying meal!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- ½ (80g) chicken breast (alternatively you can use ½ cup of left-over roast chicken)
- 1 egg
- 1 thin slice (25g) of ham, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed.
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- ½ red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 individual serve tub of quick cook brown rice (or ½ cup cooked brown rice)
- Poach chicken breast in saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins. Drain and dice the cooked chicken.
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions.
- Heat oil in fry pan on medium heat. Whisk egg in a bowl and then pour into fry pan–do not mix once added to pan, you want it to be an omelette. Cook for 2-3 mins before flipping. Cook for another minute on this side, then remove from the pan. Cut omelette into thin slices.
- Add the crushed garlic, peas, capsicum and ham to the pan. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add the cooked chicken, egg, rice and soy-sauce. Cook for another minute.
- Serve onto a plate and sprinkle with sliced spring onion.
Nutrition Information Per Serve
- Energy: 2157kJ (515 cal)
- Protein: 40g
- Fat: 15g (Sat. fat = 3g)
- Carbs: 49g (Sugar: 11g)
- Fibre: 14g
- Sodium: 956mg