Here at The Healthy Eating Hub we love thinking up new and exciting ways to eat vegetables. Without argument, vegetables are the cornerstone of a healthy diet and regardless of what else you eat, adding more ‘plants’ into your day will result in improved health long term. If you’re stuck in a vegetable rut why not try something new? This recipe is an absolute cracker, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and tastes absolutely fantastic! Get cooking!
All you need to do is take delicious, lightly grilled Mediterranean vegetables, fresh flavours like chilli, garlic and lemon, toss them through high fibre pasta and then sprinkle with some good quality feta cheese. Make sure you grab yourself a good quality extra-virgin olive oil and you’ve got a deliciously easy weeknight meal that’s good for your body as well.
Feta and Grilled Vegetables with Pasta
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 red chilli (use a small one for more heat), finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped into sticks
- 1 red capsicum, chopped into sticks
- 1 Lebanese eggplant, chopped into sticks
- 200g high fibre spaghetti pasta
- the juice of one lemon
- 200g feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta, as per the packet directions until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tsp of olive oil in a fry pan over high heat. Add the vegetables to the pan in batches and cook for approx 2 minutes on two sides or until slightly charred. Remove from the heat and repeat with the remaining batches of vegetables. Set aside.
- Add ½ tbsp olive oil in the same pan over low heat. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes, don’t let it burn. Add the cooked vegetables, pasta and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle generously with the feta cheese, parsley and pine nuts. Serve.
Nutrition Information for Feta and Grilled Vegetables with Pasta
- Energy: 1865kJ (466 cals)
- Protein: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 38g (3g sugar)
- Fat: 24g
- Fibre: 4.5g
- Sodium: 567mg