Show me an Aussie that doesn’t like a good ol’ rissole grilled on the BBQ, they are almost a guaranteed crowd pleaser with adults AND kids. This recipe takes a classic and adds some extra health benefits with oats and plenty of vegetables. Your kids won’t know any different and your husband won’t complain about all the extra vegetables.
Rissoles are also very versatile, round them to serve as meatballs, have them in burgers, have them alone with a side of salad, or make large batches and freeze them for effortless dinners. Let us know if you give this recipe a try and if you get a thumbs up from the family.
Ingredients (makes approx. 18 rissoles)
(serves 6) 3 rissoles per serve
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 100g Uncle Tobys Oats Quick Sachets Hi Fibre with Linseed
- 750g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 large egg
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp hot cayenne pepper (optional)
- Place the onion, zucchini and carrot in a bowl.
- Add the oats and mix well. Let the oats absorb any liquid from the vegetables.
- Add in the beef mince, egg, garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well with your hands. Ensure all ingredients are incorporated properly.
- Scoop out roughly ¼ cup of mixture out of the bowl and form a patty. Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have about 18 rissoles, spread them out on a large flat surface and don’t stack them on top of each other. Your rissoles should hold together.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the rissoles in batches of 3. Cook them roughly 4 minutes on each side or until dark and slightly crispy. Take care when you flip them over as they might break.
- Once cooked transfer them to a plate.
- You can add any combination of herbs you like, for example, chopped fresh rosemary, parsley and basil.
- Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt and a squirt of fresh lemon juice.
- Enjoy the rissoles in a burger or on their own with a side salad.
Nutrition Information Per Serve
- Energy: 1234 kJ (295 cal)
- Protein: 33g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fat: 10g
- Fibre: 7g
- Sodium: 517mg