When it comes to fast food, Mexican is definitely one of the Hub teams favourites. While delicious, a lot of the standard fare could do with a vegetable boost. In our Vegetable loaded Mexican plate we’ve reduced the portions of energy dense foods and increased the portions of nutrient dense, high fibre vegetables.
The result? Same delicious flavour we all love, a satiating high volume meal, and a decent serve of protein too.
Been active? Add a serving of brown rice.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 chicken thigh fillet, diced
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. fajita/taco seasoning
- 80g tasty cheese, grated
- 1 can black beans (400g), drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels (400g), drained and rinsed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, cubed
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 green oak leaf lettuce, shredded
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves removed
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken and Mexican seasoning and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is light golden and cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, microwave the black beans for 30 seconds to warm.
- Arrange the chicken, black beans and the rest of the ingredients on four plates or large bowls. A pinwheel of colour is always a really fun way to present this dish!
- Finish with a drizzle of lemon juice and a dollop of sour cream.
Nutrition Info (per serve):
- Energy: 2243kJ (536 cal)
- Protein: 41.6g
- Fat: 28.5g (saturated 19.3g)
- Carbhydrate: 23g (sugars 8.7g) – all natural sugars
- Fibre: 11.3g
- Sodium: 372mg
- Calcium 268mg