How good is a bowl of takeaway Mexican food? If you’re a fan of the burrito bowl, you’re going to love this lower carb Mexican bowl packed full of fibre, protein and delicious vegetables and flavours.
If weight management is your goal, you can reduce the energy per serve by reducing or omitting the cheese and sour cream. If not, this meal is 100% enjoyment, filling and satisfying and a winner with the whole family!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar (200ml) taco sauce
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 400g can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp. sour cream
To make the chicken and bean mix:
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken thigh fillets and cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until just golden on both sides. Remove from the heat and roughly shred. Don’t worry if they’re not cooked through, we’ll be cooking them further in a minute.
- Add the jar of taco sauce, the tin of black beans, plus 1 cup of water to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken back in and cook until the sauce reduces and thickens. Remove from heat and divide into the 4 bowls.
To make the salsa:
- Combine the corn kernels, tomato, onion, avocado, lime juice and coriander in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Divide the lettuce and salsa evenly amongst the 4 bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with cheese and add a small dollop of sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Info per serve
- Energy: 2480kJ (592 calories)
- Protein: 39g
- Carbohydrate: 35g (13g sugar)
- Fat: 29g (11g saturated fat)
- Fibre: 17g
- Sodium: 495mg