Baked vegetables are fantastic one tray dinners. Just chop, toss in olive oil and your favourite flavours and then let the oven do the rest of the work. If you add chicken thigh fillets and some potato to the pan, you’ve then got a complete meal, whipped up with very little effort! Don’t skimp on the flavours in this recipe! The combination of spices, herbs and aromatics means that every mouthful is a winner!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g Jap pumpkin, skin removed, chopped into 3cm sized chunks
- 1 swede, peeled, chopped into 3cm sized chunks
- 1 beetroot, peeled, chopped into 3cm sized chunks
- 1 baby fennel, green ends removed, finely shred the white part
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees celcious.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Combine the pumpkin, swede, beetroot, baby fennel, thyme leaves, olive oil, cumin, turmeric, garlic and salt in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Spread evenly on the baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and just soft.
- Serve as a side dish to a protein such as chicken, steak or fish. Alternatively create a vegetarian meal by adding ½ cup wholewheat couscous and a generous amount of crumbly feta cheese.
Nutrition Information (per serve)
- Energy: 484kJ (116 cal)
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fat: 5.1g (saturated 0.8g)
- Carbhydrate: 11.7g (sugars 10g) – all natural sugars
- Fibre: 6g
- Sodium: 180mg
- Calcium 63mg