One of my favourite things about eating is combining lots of different flavours together in my mouth. I’m the kind of eater that gets a bit of everything on my fork, as I love the different flavours and textures complimenting each other as I chew.
That being said, this is one of my all time favourite side dishes, particularly for a BBQ, as it contains pretty much all of my favourite fresh, healthy, tasty foods all in the one bowl.
Pasta Salad with the Lot
- 250 g pasta, small shell or spiral
- ½ onion, red finely diced
- 1 bunch basil, fresh finely shredded
- 1 bunch parsley, flat leaf, fresh
- 1 avocado cut into 1cm cubes
- 200 g potato, sweet peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 100 g tomato, sundried drained and thinly sliced
- 200 g cheese, feta, low fat cut into 1cm cubes or crumbled
- 100 g pine nuts lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp oil, olive
- ½ tbsp vinegar, red wine
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180-200°. Cut the sweet potato into 1 cm cubes and toss it in 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place on an oven tray and cook for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, cook the pasta as per packet directions.
- While both the pasta and sweet potato are cooking start preparing and chopping the other ingredients.
- Dice the onion, shred the basil and parsley, finely slice the sun dried tomatoes, cube the avocado and crumble or cut the feta into 1cm cubes.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a small saucepan or fry pan over low heat. You don’t need to add any oil. Watch them closely as burnt pine nuts have an extremely bitter taste. It will take about 3-5 minutes. Toss occasionally.
- Drain the pasta and immediately place in a large serving bowl. Remove the sweet potato from the oven and place it in with the pasta. Add the onion, basil, parsley, avocado, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, feta and toss to combine.
- Add the remaining olive oil and red wine vinegar and toss the salad a few more times.
- Serve and allow your guests to help themselves! Enjoy!
- ½ serve protein
- ½ serve carbohydrate
- 1¼ serve fat