It can be so difficult thinking of new ideas for quick and easy dinners that are also healthy and nutritious. This salmon meal has the perfect balance of nutrients including protein, carbohydrates, fats and fresh vegetables. It’s so quick and easy you can have dinner on the table in 15 minutes. Perfect for a Friday night when all you want to do is put your feet up.
Wild, unprocessed, fresh seafood such as sustainably sourced salmon is one of the best sources of omega 3 leading to protective benefits for your heart. Omega 3 fats have been linked to lowered levels of inflammation and improved cholesterol levels.
Legumes such as the red kidney beans, butter beans, lima beans and chickpeas found in this salad are an amazing source of fibre, protein and low GI carbohydrate. They really are magic beans! Fibre helps to soften your stool, feed the good bacteria in your intestines and keep you full without extra kilojoules. Adding some beans to your plate is simple and effective way to improve your digestive health and keep you full.
Salmon and 4 Bean Salad
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 400g fresh salmon fillets, skin on
- 2x 400g cans of 4 bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 8 cups of green leafy salad mix, washed and dried
- 1 yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 200g natural or greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over low heat. Add the salmon, skin side down, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until skin becomes golden. Flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest.
- Mix the beans, chives, red onion and half the lemon juice in a bowl. Set aside. Next, thoroughly mix the yoghurt, wholegrain mustard and the remainder of the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Divide the green leafy salad, capsicum and cherry tomatoes evenly over 4 plates. Next, evenly divide the bean mixture over the 4 plates.
- Serve each plate with a portion of salmon. Finally, top each plate with a generous drizzle of yoghurt dressing and serve. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information of Salmon and Four Bean Salad
Per Serve: (quarter of recipe)
- Energy: 2178 kJ (518 calories)
- Carbohydrates: 39.9g
- Protein: 45g
- Fat: 16.2g (Saturated fat: 5 g)
- Fibre: 15.6g
- Sodium 761mg