It’s tasty, zesty, full of fresh ingredients and packed full of nutrition. The only processed ingredients are pasta and parmesan, thats it!
It tastes even better as leftovers the next day. The flavours intensify overnight making the leftovers great for work lunches or a quick week night meal. I’ll often double the batch to make sure there’s enough leftover for another day.
Tomato, Basil and Pine Nut Pasta
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 large or small red chilli (the smaller the chilli the hotter it will be), deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 punnets of cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, shredded
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
- The zest and juice of one lemon
- 200g (uncooked) fettucine or other pasta, cooked according to packet directions
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby rocket
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to season
- Cook the pasta according to the packet directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1tbsp of the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the onion, chilli and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat until they become soft and lose their shape. Add the shredded basil and lemon zest and reduce the heat to low. Stir to combine until the basil is just wilted. Stir in the cooked pasta, leftover olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve into 4 bowls and top with rocket, pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Tomato, Basil and Pine Nut Pasta – Nutrition Info
- Energy: 1680kJ
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate (sugar): 40g (4g)
- Fat: 19g
- Fibre: 5g