Salads are one of the joys of summer eating! They are quick, easy to prepare and best of all, they’re a great way of upping your vegetable intake and nourishing your body with lots of whole foods. This vietnamese chicken salad, is a delicious twist on boring old lettuce, tomato and cucumber and is a fabulously refreshing and light meal for a hot summer night.
The secret lies in the dressing full of rich asian flavours, plus the addition of three types of fresh herbs!
You can make this salad in bulk and separate it into four containers for your mid week lunches. Keep the dressing separate to stop it from going soggy and just add it just before eating.
You can also add in a source of carbohydrate, if you’re feeling a little more hungry, by adding 1/2 – 1 cup of rice noodles or egg noodles. Yum!
Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- ½ cabbage, chinese (wombok) shredded
- 1 cucumber, any thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 250 g snow peas ends removed, roughly chopped
- 1 capsicum, red cut into thin strips
- 2 onion, spring roughly chopped (or shallots)
- ¼ bunch mint, fresh finely chopped
- ¼ bunch basil, fresh finely chopped
- ¼ bunch coriander, fresh finely chopped
- 80 g cashews, dry roasted
- 1 tbsp oil, sesame
- ½ tbsp fish sauce GF if required
- 2 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli, powder optional
- 720 g chicken, breast diced
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a screw top jar and shake until well-combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all the salad ingredients (cabbage, cucumber, bean sprouts, snow peas, carrot, capsicum, spring onions, coriander, mint and basil).
- Heat a non-stick fry pan and coat with oil spray. Cook chicken breast until lightly golden brown.
- Add the cooked chicken to the salad, pour over the dressing and sprinkle with the crushed peanuts. Enjoy!
- 1 serve protein
- 2 serve fat
- 3 serve vegetable
If you would like to make an appointment with one of our practitioners for individualised healthy eating advice, you can simply book online by following the link below, or call us.